Now that you’ve got your most coveted UK spouse visa, I bet you’re just over the moon and can’t wait to book that flight and pack your things, if you haven’t yet, and just be with the love of your life! Sounds pretty easy peasy lemon squeezy, eh? To be honest, being issued a spouse visa (leave to remain) is just the start of your journey to a life very much different from the life you’re about to leave behind. I am not being pessimistic here but just being realistic.
Migrating is quite a feat if I may say so. It’s not a walk in the park nor everything a bed of roses. You will be facing migration hiccups along the way and a good, positive mindset is what you need to conquer it all. Mind you, you’re very much allowed to cry because you’re frustrated; very much allowed to bawl your eyes out because you feel homesick; very much acceptable for you to feel “weather-struck” resulting to a dampen spirit; very much okay to feel at times like you’re the dumbest persona the world has ever spawn because of culture shock! Oh! Did I mention that the Brits are driving on the left side of the road and that they love RULES and are generally respectful it makes my teeth rattle sometimes (no pun intended 😀 ).
You may have thought of what are the things you need, if not MUST, do once you arrive in the UK. You’re in luck as I can give you an overview of the topic at hand as I was able to do most of them since I arrived here. I am sharing my list so you’ll be able to have a rough idea of the things you will do once you’re here.
- BRP Collection
- GP Registration
- Proof of Address (Council tax bill or utility bills or provisional driver licence)
- Bank Account Application
- NINo Appointment/Application
- Driving Licence Application (optional)
- CV Creation
- Look for jobs via online job registration (Indeed, Reed, CV-Library to name a few)
- ENJOY TIME WITH YOUR SPOUSE HERE IN THE UK WHILE STILL UNEMPLOYED BECAUSE ONCE YOU’RE EMPLOYED, YOU’LL FIND IT DIFFICULT TO FIND TIME TO APPRECIATE THE BEAUTY OF EVERYTHING ELSE HERE (LOL). Life is fast-paced here.