CAV AND RED RIBBON: THE WHYs, HOWs, WHATs, & WHEREs
(CERTIFICATION, AUTHENTICATION, VERIFICATION)
Who needs CAV and what are the documents which need CAV?
CAV is a requirement for Filipinos who are applying to work or study abroad. Usually, TOR or Transcript of Records, Diploma and other scholastic requirements are requested for CAV.
What are the authorized government agencies to administer CAV?
- DEPEd (Department of Education)
For scholastic records such as TOR and diploma from high school
- CHED (Commission on Higher Education)
For scholastic records such as TOR and/or diploma from your college or graduate school
For training and technical course certificates
What are the requirements?
- Original and photocopies of scholastic records e.g. TOR, diploma and other certificates
- 2×2 ID picture
How to process CAV certificates?
A. For Bachelor’s Degree holders and Post-graduate degree holders
- Endorsement from the school registrar
- Certified true copy of scholastic records (TOR, diploma, etc)
- Certified true copy of the special order (if applicable)
B. If undergraduate
- Endorsement from School registrar
- Certification of enrolment
- TOR of earned units certified by School Registrar
C. For High School Graduates
- Original and certified true copies of TOR and diploma
- Certification of graduation from School Principal and School Superintendent
Go to your authorized government agency (CHED, DEpEd, TESDA) and submit the listed requirements. The Regional Offices of the agencies will serve your CAV applications/requests.
Make sure to keep the receipts and other documents issued to you for claiming your documents.
How many days for CAV processing?
3 to 5 working days
HOW TO HAVE YOUR DOCUMENTS “RED-RIBBONED” FOR OVERSEAS PURPOSES
Whether you need your documents authenticated (red-ribboned) for employment or “just-in-case-you need-it” purposes, the process of doing it isn’t as daunting as it may seem.
Here is the information you need to do it on your own.
- Go to your university or school registrar and request for a certified true copy/ies of your scholastic records (credentials, TOR, and diploma). The cost varies per school so you better ask your school about the fees.
- After securing the necessary documents for authentication, go to the government agency (please refer to the CAV topic for reference) near you and submit your documents. The government agency staff will issue you a reference number. This will be your reference when claiming your red-ribboned documents from DFA or DHL, whichever you choose.
It would be more convenient for you to just claim your documents from DHL Cargo Express instead of personally going to the DFA office. The authenticated documents will be delivered within 2-week time. Please refer to your local DHL hub for the fees.
Please note that some schools, colleges, and universities can issue you your documents without going through the aforementioned processes. They will do it for you for a fee, of course. Check with your school registrar’s office for this.
These processes go with TESDA for the technical and vocational courses as well.
WHAT ABOUT PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATES AND PSA AUTHENTICATED CERTIFICATES?
Yes, they can also be authenticated. Here’s how?
A. Professional Certificates
- Professional licenses
- Certificates of good standing
- Certificates of registration
- Report ratings
Secure a certified true copy of the documents you need. Wait for the claim stub and go to DFA or DHL. Pay for the fees. Wait for 10 to 15 working days for the release of the “red-ribboned” documents.
B. PSA Authenticated Certificates
- Birth certificates
- Marriage certificates
- CENOMAR (Certificate of No Marriage)
- Death certificates
Bring the original PSA certificate with the OR to the DFA or DHL.
Disclaimer: The processes, procedures, and fees in here may vary from different local agencies. This article just aims to give you a general idea of what to expect relating to the topic.
Hi. Can I have my documents get CAV in a different province? For instance, I graduated elementary in Cebu and I am now currently residing at Davao del Sur. Can I CAV my documents from Cebu here in Davao?