For whatever purpose that you need to withdraw your visa application, there are guidelines outlined by the UKVI on how to properly do this and get a refund of the application fee that you have paid.
The general rule is that you must notify in writing the UKVI of your intent to withdraw your application and it must be received:
1. A) For biometrics-required application:
***Before the biometrics have been submitted
B) For no-biometrics-required application:
***Before the physical application has been either:
- Accepted at the visa application center, or
- Received directly at the visa section.
VISA FEE REFUND
To qualify for a refund of the visa fee, the letter of intent to withdraw the application must be received by the UKVI:
- Before biometrics have been submitted.
- Within 3 months and 7 days of the date of application was paid for.
USER PAY (UP) FEE REFUND
You will only be eligible to request for a refund if you cancel your appointment and claim for it 5 days in advance of the scheduled date.
CONDITION OF VISA APPLICATION PAYMENT
- Payment of visa application fee DOES NOT guarantee visa approval.
- NO REFUND if visa application has been refused.
For detailed information, please visit Visa4UK website.
HOW TO REQUEST FOR A REFUND?
- Sign into your Visa4UK account using the email address and password you used to create the account for your application.
- Select the option ‘View Appointment ‘.
- Select the option ‘Cancel Appointment ‘.
- Select ‘Yes’ in the following confirmation dialogue box.
- Select the option ‘View Payment’ for your application.
- Scroll down to ‘7. Request Refund’ and select the option ‘Request Refund’.
- Explain your reason(s) for requesting a refund in the area provided.
- Select the option ‘Apply for a refund’.
I have taken the information I have shared in here from the confirmation email sent to me by the UKVI as I just booked and paid my spouse visa application yesterday, the 22nd of September 2018, Philippines.