Domestic Workers in a Private Household Visa

Who are eligible to apply for a Domestic Worker in a Private Household Visa?

Those who are:

  • domestic workers in a private household
  • have worked for their employer for at least one year
  • from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • meet the following eligibility requirements:

The applicant must prove the following:

  • 18 or older
  • has worked for his/her employer for at least 1 year
  • work in the same household as her/his employer or one use regularly
  • plan to travel to the UK with his/her employer, their partner or children
  • intend to work as a full-time domestic worker in a UK household his/her employer will live in
  • plan to leave the UK at the end of 6 months or at the same time as his/her employer, whichever is sooner
  • able to support herself/himself in the UK without the need for public funds

The applicant’s employer must be either a:

  • British or European Economic Area (EEA) national who usually lives outside the UK and who doesn’t intend to remain in the UK for more than six months
  • foreign national who is coming to the UK on a visit and who doesn’t intend to remain for more than 6 months
  • the employer must also pay you at least the national minimum wage

Who are considered domestic workers?

  1. cleaners
  2. chauffeurs
  3. cooks
  4. those providing personal care for the employer and their family
  5. nannies

What are the documents the applicant must provide?

  1. a current passport or other valid travel identification
  2. proof you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
  3. details of where you’ll be staying and your return travel booking
  4. You’ll need to have a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa.

The applicant must also provide information about his/her job, including:

  1. a letter from your employer confirming that you’ve worked for them in the same job for at least 1 year
  2. a completed and signed statement of your terms and conditions of employment
  3. a statement from your employer confirming they’ll pay you at least the national minimum wage while you’re working for them in the UK

The applicant must also provide 1 of the following documents covering the same period of employment:

  1. pay slips or bank statements showing payment of salary
  2. confirmation of tax paid
  3. confirmation of health insurance paid
  4. contract of employment
  5. work visa, residence permit or equivalent passport endorsement for the country where you’re currently employed by your employer
  6. visas or equivalent passport endorsement if you’ve traveled with your employer before

How to apply?

  • All applicants MUST apply outside the UK. You must apply online for this visa. Here’s the link:
  • You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application center as part of your application.

Is it possible to extend this type of visa?

Yes but the applicant can only extend if he or she is already in the UK and his/her current Domestic Workers in a Private Household visa is for less than 6 months. He/She should apply before his/her current visa expires. He/She also must continue to meet the eligibility criteria of his/her original visa.

How to extend this type of visa?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Start a Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: